Well, the senior campaign ending went pretty well after a run of 6 years. (Started 4/13/2009, interestingly enough.) In-game time from Coldeven (March) 584 to Fireseek (January) 585 (plus assorted time travel). Most characters are in the level 22-25 range and are so powerful that demigods and lesser avatars need be wary!!
After being selected as the Lady of Pain’s champions, the party attached parts of Vecna’s body to get past the swirling Spheres of Annihilation. Death (aka Marshall), attempted a shadow stride and was nearly slain by a summoned sphere (technically Sphere of Ultimate Destruction spell). Inside, some supplicants were being indoctrinated. (Technically, there was a lot to explore and do inside the commandeered Armory, but that would have taken at least one or two additional sessions.)
The big surprise was when the sweet little (necromancer) grandma Maga Elspet turned out to be not only a member of the Triumvirate (known as Traya), but somehow trained/mentored both Sion and Nilhus. (I’m a little fuzzy on how a human could have trained the millennia-old Sion and Nilhus, but I’m sure there was some time travel involved.) <backstage: /> When “Maga Elspet” came face to face with her former conspirators, she purposefully shattered her staff in a retributive strike (400 hp of damage to those within 10’, DC17 Reflex for half). After the explosion, only the battered form of Nilhus (the Dread Wraith) remained. The weakened Nilhus was little match for the party.
Vecna was occupied by his attempt to restructure the multiverse and unable to focus on you until he finally realized that you were a threat. By the time he admitted you were dangerous, it was too late and you slew his avatar, ejecting his presence from Sigil, restoring Iuz and saving the multiverse. (It looks like you didn’t need the extra NPCs or the offer to resurrect anyone who fell. I also accidentally did the math wrong on his AC, which should have been 46 instead of 36, but that only would have prolonged the inevitable conclusion where our heroes were triumphant.)
There is a week-long celebration in Sigil, where you are provided permanent accommodations, should you wish to use them. You’ve achieved epic levels and done miraculous things. You feel like you should be celebrating more, but even those who remove his relics still feel the taint of the dark lord on their souls. Despite most of your young ages, you feel somehow very old and the appeal of adventuring has been lost. You feel more sympathy for Llwyres Sierra Blackblade and the loss/suffering that cannot be put into words. Some of you have Fey Lord duties to uphold, others have political offices to hold, but the rest need to decide what to do next…
(OOC: Senior characters and the 3.5 rules are being retired and will become NPCs in the campaign setting. Please let me know your retirement preferences.) What then, of the noble heroes/heroines?
The Unseelie Fey Lords of Time (Vilquar Arja’rok), Destruction (Ariel), Wrath (Trogdor) and Death (Marshall) find themselves constantly called to manage their portfolios. While there is time for an occasional foray (i.e. retaking Deepholm), Trogdor will have to resign as Arglwyth of Melgorn.
Magnus Aedan, still in shock over his wife, Maga Elspet, is undertaking a private quest to find her (alive or remains and soul), so he retires as High Evoker.
Radiant Servant of Pelor Alena…
Dopa Nu’Larseen (human Clr of Iuz) continues to pine for Alena. Even as she rejects and rebuffs him, he continues to pledge himself to her and manages to follow her wherever she does. (Stalker)
A related tribe of lizardfolk in the Rushmoors offers Karackus the Wonder Lizard a chance to become their chieftain. A few other tribes in the Rushmoors have even offered to band together to make Karackus a Lizardman King.
Thorazor has been offered a place among the Stonereaver clan.
At first, the mighty Grukka Duka seems normal, but undertakes a quest with Ivar the Ghost and Lily Gellsblood to seek out and destroy Vecna’s cults everywhere. He is haunted by The Hand of Vecna and the Sword of Kas. The two relics play tug-of-war with Gruka’s body and soul, but the Sword is ultimately more powerful. Gruka will not willingly part with the weapon as his alignment shifts to Chaotic Evil.
Rhys ap Colwyn, Brenin of the Gyri people, has to return to run the country. When he returns, Llwyres Sierra Blackblade has a long list of items to address:
• Appointing the Brenin’s court of ministers and advisors. (And deciding if any need replacing.)
- High Seneschal Cuthalion Cuern (Clr18 half-elf priest of Ehlonna) is still absentia in the Dreadwood.
- High Mage Magnus Abinar (AcM18 human Enchanter) wants to refound the Magic Council at the Keep of Storm Mountain. With Elspet and Aedan gone, he only has Magnus Burkan ap Carteria (Diviner) and Magnus Waylan Crabtree (Trasmutor) left. He’ll be looking for an Illusionist, Evoker, Abjurator, Conjurer and Necromancer to fill out the schools of magic. Perhaps they could even found a wizardry school to provide more magically talented recruits for future wars.
- High Priest Rhodri Morningmist (Clr-15 of Pelor) is an old and frail man, but still holds the position of Religious Advisor.
- Druisinia the Crocusblossum (Drd-13 of Ehlonna) is the Old Faith Advisor to Rhys, and was appointed by the druids.
- Gwydion of the Twained Elm (Brd/Drd) is the Old Lore Advisor and Ambassador to Keoland
- Sericine (gray elf) is Ambassador-At-Large for Gyruff
- Arglwyth Eridan Shadowblade (Spymaster)
- (vacant) Minister of Public Works
- (vacant) Minister of Agriculture
- (vacant) Minister of Health
- (vacant) Minister of Weights and Measures
- (vacant) Minister of Coin
• Naming nobles (though high nobles need to be confirmed by the druids). [A list of Peers of the Realm is available, should you wish to pick from NPCs.]
o Brenin and Llwyr of Erymyth: Rhys ap Colwyn
o Llwyres of Cymeravon: Sierra Blackblade
o Llwyr of Araul Anterth: (vacant) – previously held by Melwyn Greatarm (the were-boar)
o Arglwyth of Dwyr: Braichdyn Eridan Shadowblade
o Arglwyth of Ffrwythlon Dol: (vacant) – previously held by Darlon Lea, but his lands and title are forfeit
o Arglwyth of Gwyrth Bryn: Ilan ap Dyved (Drd/Ftr) – forming a religious cantrev
o Arglwyth of Melgorn: (vacant) – previously held by Trogdor Hammerfall (Wrath)
o Arglwythes of Rhnwg yr Coed: Briallen merch Luther
o Llwyres of Rhychdir Rhos: Rhian “the Spearbreaker” merch Neirin
• Ambassadors are needed to the various lands: Oytwood Elves (she has an interim ambassador on a mission now), Dim Forest Elves, Dwarves and Gran March among others (Keoland already has an ambassador.)
• Acquiring and allocation of resources and coin for retaking and rebuilding (magic items, supplies for troops, food for refugees, tools, seeds and young stock for resettling, etc.)
• Recruiting for military and settlers in Gyruff.
• Elimination of the Fire Giant Command Structure, retaking the 3+ Fire Giant Castles, retaking Gorna, taking out the Sakhut (Cloud Giants), and eliminating the Jotenreich (Eldritch Giants)… among other missions.
Hearing the petitions and grievances of the Gyri people:
- There is a war on the Plane of Shadow, and the people of the Light (mostly a secret cult of good) request aid
- There are allegations of corruption upon the Baronet/Brehyr Volkmar Botkin in Aberglain. They have not been substantiated with evidence, so Sierra has been loathe to act until proof is found. Meanwhile, a counter-claim against another Lord Janos and the Flying Griffons Ban Cant has been field by Brehyr Volkmar Botkin, alleging that they broke into his house and stole his inheritance.
- Several petitioners demand compensation for their lands being annexed by Gran March forces and various forms of subjugation under Gran March while living in Arweth.
- Multiple requests for aid from the impoverished refugees, although there have been many discovered frauds, too. Apparently, unscrupulous foreigners have been posing as Gyri refugees to get handouts and selling them on the black market.
- Multiple petitioners who (or their family) have been victims of various crimes (theft, banditry, murder, etc.) by bandits, thieves, brigands, marauders and worse.
• Settling in with Princess Kialla and their young child.
Valanthe Liadon became Druid of the Fruitwood Grove in the Oytwood.
Strongarm Wheatbinder went on to join a Ranger wolfpack and fought hard in the Dim Forest.
Nicole Fairweather (Rhys’ love interest) and Mordelin married and continue the fight in Gyruff. Mordelin is still wanted for murder (Nicole as an accessory) in Keoland and Gran March.
Briallen the Heatherdown retired on the Isle of Rhun.
In later years, the bodies of the Clayborns and a mule were discovered just south of Grolleck’s Grove. (Karackus’ crew)
There are too many of the fallen to list, but here’s a shot:
• The Clayborns (NPC) three troublemaking brothers trained to run away with the mule at the first sign of combat by Karackus, and they did…
• (Randy Carey’s PC) – killed by were-tiger
• Cirilli Finla (NPC) – Valanthe’s apprentice
• Mithril Smith (NPC) – destroyed in a gem
• Bishop Primo (NPC) – Orlane
• Varlos the Druid (NPC) – Orlane
• Hoskuld (NPC) – apprentice to Marshall
• Jura Bearberry (NPC) of the Fruitwood Grove in the Oytwood
• Olegg Araul (reincarnated into Alena Araul)
• Malthus “the Hand”, a member of the Organization
• Lord Dimitri Ab Rancar – killed in Oytwood?
• (Archmage) Magnus Aedan (NPC) – Hochoch – Resurrected after his soul was recovered
• Archmage Ariel Fireheart (the ghost) – embedded into a weapon
• Ariel Fireheart (the guard) – self-immolation
• Archmage Vargalian (NPC) who didn’t realize the Keoish war was over.
• Archmage Lucien (NPC) who put Vargalian up to it
• Magnus Abinar (NPC) – Plane of Shadow, but Raised while there.
• Nosra (NPC) Hill Giant Chief and General of the Hill Giant Army
• Hans Reinhardt (NPC) archmage necromancer, apparently made of glass
• Llwyr Galen Arweth IV – murdered
• Jenkins (NPC Cohort) – Bloody Ridge
• Lord Galimar Withington? (NPC) – Bloody Ridge
• High Chancellor Lord Colwyn ap Ffagan (Rhys’ father) (NPC) – Bloody Ridge
• Hugo, Edmund, Lloyd and Grandis Za’Buume – Bloody Ridge
• Lord Cardor (NPC) heir to Mandismoor – Bloody Ridge
• Margrave Elgin of Mareman (NPC) – Bloody Ridge
• Marshall Hillock, who became Death – Bloody Ridge
• Llwyr Bedwyn the Fat (NPC) – Bloody Ridge
• Cadofyth Gwenllian merch Elias (NPC) – Bloody Ridge
• Gonfalon Bearer Ioan ap Gwyndred (NPC) – Bloody Ridge, raised
• Bishop Egil (NPC) – Bloody Ridge
• Archbishop Golwyn (NPC) – Bloody Ridge
• Bishop Fredwick (NPC) – Bloody Ridge
• Bishop Virgil (NPC) – Bloody Ridge
• Zoltar Redcloak (NPC) – Rhys’ mentor – disappeared
• Cloud Giant Monk (NPC) – ambushed
• King Aodhan (NPC) – The Summer King
• Abrozzar (NPC) Frost Giant Archmage and General of the Gyri Frost Giant Army
• Jarl Grungir (NPC) – officially the Frost Giant Leader, but more of a figurehead
• Mabon of Istivin (Owen) (NPC) – Sacrificed to the Stone Table to make the new Green Man
• The former “Time” (NPC) – slain by Death to seal a time rift
• Hasforneses (NPC) – Shadow dragon at Derelion
• Llwyr “Uncle” Melwyn Greatarm (NPC) in Time’s Arena vs Rhys and Time
• King Kimbertos Skotti (NPC) in Time’s Arena
• Iuz, Demigod, absorbed by Vecna (NPC)
• Samlet ap Alena (NPC) by Time, reincarnated
• Shaun ap Rhys (NPC) by Time, reincarnated
• Ak-Haru Kanharrison (NPC) by party
• Maga Elspet (NPC)
• Vecna’s Avatar, Lesser God (NPC)
Incomplete list of Players (Senior Campaign):
• Mike Horton (Rhys ap Colwyn and giants by mail)
• Cheryl Zantow (Valanthe, Alena and Gyruff by mail)
• Scott Weisman (Marshall/Death, Fensgeneral and Gran March by mail)
• Kevin (Olegg Araul and Thorazor)
• Tim Garman (Karackus)
• Ken Ziegler (Grukka Duk)
• Steve Becht (Eridan Shadowblade)
• Randy Carey (I can’t remember his PC’s name)
• Tony Gagnon (Trogdor Hammerfall/Wrath and Keoland by mail)
• Mike Burgaz (Strongarm Wheatbinder)
• Steve Wenzel (Vilquar/Time)
• Chris Larson (Harrison Mojo)
• Sebastian Zang (Dimitri)
• Andy Sutton (Malthus the Hand)
• Rob Severson (Llwyr Galen Arweth IV)
• Rob Gagnon (giants by mail)
• Fred Nickel (giants by mail)
• Austin Katt (posthumous contribution of NPCs, including the manic-depressive pixie assassin Willow)
• And about 4 people that only showed up for 1 session
• TSR 11413 Against the Giants – The Liberation of Geoff
• Living Greyhawk (and Gyruff Yahoo Group)
• N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God
• G7 Morrick’s Mansion
• GEO1-01 Runaway
• GEO1-02 Cat and Mouse
• GEO1-03 Gifts of the Fey
• GEO1-04 The Gonfalon of Gyruff
• GEO1-06 The Return of the Grand Duke
• GEO2-03 The Last of Nine
• GEO2-06 Summers Passing
• GEO3-03 Curiosity Killed the Cat
• GEO3-04 A Break in the Silence
• GEO3-06 Rite of Eternal Spring
• GEO4-04 Forest of Stone
• GEO4-06 Winter of Our Discontent
• GEO4-07 Return to the Barrier Peaks
• GEO5-04 Facets of Power
• GEOIntro4-01 Fruit off the Vine
• Aldriv’s Revenge
• Acid Woods
• Armageddon Echo
• Aerothwarm (lair of Abraxathana the Silver Dragon)
• G1 – Steading of the Hill Giant Chief
• G2 – Glacier of the Frost Giant Jarl
• SHE3-03 Shades of Gray
• SHE5-01 Sounds of Silence
• SHE5-04 A Cup O’erturned
• SHE6-01 Flesh Torn Asunder
• SHE7-01 Three to One’s Wonder
• SHE7-02 Dark Whisperer Returned
• Queen of the Demonweb Pits (barely started)
• Harbinger House
• Faction War
• In the Cage
• Die, Vecna, Die!
• And about 10 other modules that I have in print
Thank you all for a good six years, and I hope the 5th edition campaigns have a good run, too.